Friday, March 18, 2011

A very special Mom


    
     Washington Irving[1] (1783-1589) wrote that “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts”, Washington Irving wrote.
     My mom, at the age of 45, is still a hot mama. She is outgoing, loves to go out with her friends and with us. She does not like to wear clothes that are for old ones and takes good care of her body and skin. So when you get to see her, she is just like a 28-yr-old pretty lady.
     My mom is one of those overprotective and strict moms. For twenty one years of my existence, I have never experienced sleeping over my friends’ house or traveling out of town without her as my chaperone. She chooses what I wear and when should I get a haircut. I know that is very irritating but whether we like it or not, mothers tend to be like that sometimes.
     Eventhough, I am a very lucky daughter. My mom is the sweetest and one of a kind. In fact, we were just like friends. We shop and hang out, laugh, cry, and even drink together (She allowed me to drink when I turned eighteen). And of course sometimes we fight with each other like mothers and daughters do. She worries so much when I get sick and still treats me like a baby. She is my very best friend.
     As a daughter, I have let her down many times already and she knows almost everything I have gone through. But there was a time that I have done something beyond my limit that any mother would hate her daughter for such a shame. I was so scared to tell it right to her face and did not really know what to do because I was so afraid that she would slap me or rip my neck. When I finally told her about it, she just cried so hard but never even raised her voice at me. I hugged her and said, “I am very sorry for doing that. I know you did not expect me to do such thing like that and expect a great deal from me but that was what happened and I hope you can forgive me”. She was silent for awhile and then a moment later, she said, “I am your mother. I would never leave you hanging especially in times like this. Yes, I am so hurt but my love for you cannot be measured or compared to any mistakes you have made. I understand you were blinded and have gone beyond your limit but I do not want this to happen anymore. This is a lesson for the both of us.”
     I did not expect that from her because I know what she can do when she gets mad and what I was expecting was that for the first time she would beat me off and hate me. But I was very wrong. She understood me instead and even admitted that she also has her own mistakes as a mother. We had a sincere talk and I promised not to let her down ever again.
     Now, when we look back to that time, all she would say is that, “No matter what happens, I will always be here for you. Even if your friends were gone, a mother will always be there for her children. Above anyone else, I should be the very person to understand you and to whom you can come to.” And for that, now I know she loves me more than her life and I feel the same way too. I am very blessed to have her as my mother.
     Mothers are the best friends we can always count on to. I had been a bad daughter yet she has always been very understanding and forgiving. As what Honoré de Balzac said, “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.”


[1]An  American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century.

1 comment: